--- Daniel Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-08-25 at 08:45 -0700, Calin Culianu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I'm coming from the RTAI and RTLinux world and I just learned about the
> great
> > strides you guys have made in hard RT.  Anyway, I was wondering --
> currently
> > how would one go about talking to DAQ hardware using the RT_PREEMPT
> patch(es)?
> > Will this "just work" with COMEDI?  What happens when a userspace hard rt
> app
> > calls into a kernel device driver in the simple case of an inb() or outb()
> > instruction?
>
> PREEMPT_RT doesn't change the way that users call into drivers .. The
> users perspective of things is just same as regular linux ..
>
> Daniel

Cool!  That's what I figured but I wanted to double-check.

Now, there is no way to raise the priority of particular driver's ISRs is
there?  So that a specific ISR can preempt anything including a hard realtime
process?

I know in the shared IRQ situation it would introduce lots of jitter but having
really high priority interrupts would be nice.  Is that possible?

Anyway thanks for answering my question -- this basically means I can throw
away rtlinux and use the latest 2.6 kernels with the RT_PREEMPT patches!  :)

-Calin