Dnia środa, 10 października 2012 11:12:53 Tony Lindgren pisze:
> * Stephen Warren <swar...@wwwdotorg.org> [121010 09:36]:
> > On 10/10/2012 01:26 AM, Linus Walleij wrote:

> > > So to be clear:
> > >
> > > This is starting to look like a firmware language, I have mixed
> > > feelings about this. Shall this be read:
> > >
> > > "Poke 4 into 0x00, poke 1 into 0x04, poke 2 into 0x08" etc?
> > >
> > > We really need to discuss this, Grant has already NACK:ed
> > > such approaches once.
> >
> > Well, I don't think he NACK'd Tony Lindgren's generic pinctrl driver,
> > which is doing this exact same thing. I did raise the same point about
> > Tony's driver when he posted it, but nobody seemed inclined to NACK it
> > based on that at the time, IIRC...
>
> To summarize, using reg value pairs in DT makes sense if the amount
> of data is huge. Otherwise we'll be describing indidual hardware bits
> as properties in DT, or have to have huge amounts of static data in
> the kernel.
>
> Where it does not make sense is if there's a sequence of reads
> and writes with test loops in between.. But that's does not look
> to be the case here.
>
> The reg value pairs will be readable when the DT preprocessing is
> available, and that allows the values to be orred together while
> DT properties don't. The alternative is to describe hardware register
> bits as DT properties, which is very bloated.
>
> But considering all this.. Are the samsung,reg-names really needed
> by the kernel?

They are used to specify which registers are defined in reg-params property
and in which order. Most of the registers are not mandatory and this is
needed to be able to specify only those that are present. At least I
couldn't think of a better solution for this. Do you have some suggestions?

Best regards,
Tomasz Figa