Hi,

On 01/20/2013 09:46 PM, Alexander Nestorov wrote:
I have been playing for a week with the board. Both audio and video
work correctly, but I haven't
been able to set the mic settings in alsamixer (so I can't test the mic).
The touchscreen isn't working, so I'll try to make it working and send
you some patches.

Anyways, now there's another question/problem that I have. Video
playback is really slow because
I'm not using the device's cpu-decoder but rather doing everything in
software mode.

Is there support for hardware acceleration in the kernel for this
device? Also, after talking with

No, there is still no video codec (MFC) driver for s3c6410 upstream.
Now, when there is support for the hardware video codec available in
newer SoC (Exynos4/5) and some V4L2 infrastructure added together with
the s5p-mfc driver, it should be much easier to write a driver for the
s3c64xx MFC. Still it is relatively huge task and I didn't see any
volunteers willing to add support upstream for the s3c64xx MFC, except
Andrey who replied in this thread. I could provide some help, but
I will likely won't find time to do any development work or testing.

Also please note there is no support for the mem-to-mem features (color
space conversion, scaling, rotation/flip) in the s3c-camif driver.
It should be relatively simple to add it though. I'm not really sure
if it is needed to run the codec on s3c64xx, but the plugin [1] uses
FIMC (CAMIF) as a video post-processor. This plugin sets up processing
pipeline like:

memory (compressed data) -> MFC -> (YCbCr tiled) memory -> FIMC -> memory (display)

some people from #gstreamer they pointed me to a component[1] in
gstreamer, but I'm not really
sure how to I use it. Any ideas/experience with that?

This component uses multi-planar V4L2 API [2], which also use the s5p-mfc
and s5p-fimc driver. The s3c-camif driver uses the single-planar API
at the camera capture video node. So if this existing plugin was to be
used with the s3c64xx hardware, the drivers for it would have to
support the multi-planar API, which I believe is not needed on s3c64xx
hardware.
The best is probably to make the drivers only single-plane API aware
and adapt the plugin. The required changes at the plugin wouldn't be
significant.

Anyway, a real problem here is lack of the s3c64xx MFC driver. So
first we need the codec driver, which could be tested with modified
test application [3], or directly with modified plugin [1].

Regards!

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-plugins-bad/tree/sys/mfc

[2] http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/planar-apis.html
[3] http://git.infradead.org/users/kmpark/public-apps/tree/9c057b001e8873861a70f7025214003837a0860b