On 08/25/2014 05:13 PM, Ulf Hansson wrote:
> On 22 August 2014 20:27, Sonny Rao <sonny...@chromium.org> wrote:

I didn't know that use CD# line for card detect.
And if CD# voltage rails and I/O voltage rail are same voltage, it doesn't make
sense.
Which card is used with same voltages? (eMMC? SD? SDIO?)

Well, I have checked Exynos5250 and 5420, but it looks like not same rails.

>>> I am not sure I follow here.
>>>
>>> Is the card detect mechanism handled internally by the dw_mmc controller?
>>
>> Yes

What card detect mechanism?

> Just out of curiosity.
>
> Do you know how the power to the actual dw_mmc controller is handled?
> I expect it to be SoC specific and I am guessing power domain
> regulators may be involved!?
>

>>> I thought HW engineers long time ago realized that this should be done
>>> separately on a GPIO line to be able to save power while waiting for a
>>> card to be inserted. But that's not case then?
>>
>> At least in my limited experience, this seems to be common among SoC
>> vendors who are using dw_mmc, as we've seen this elsewhere as well and
>> after seeing it here we know that we need to ignore the CD pin that's
>> routed to dw_mmc and use a separately powered GPIO on the board, but
>> still there are probably many SoCs/boards which are doing it this way.

>> This patch is based off of one that Doug wrote (sent privately to
>> Yuvaraj) which just modifies the MMC core, and should be split into
>> two patches.
>> One that modifies the mmc core and one that implements this in dw_mmc.
>
> I looked at the mmc core parts, it seems like the wrong approach.
>
> I think you shall be able use MMC_CAP_NEEDS_POLL, to handle this
> broken card detect mechanism. We even have a DT binding for that,
> "broken-cd".

I agreed with Ulf's opinion.

Best Regards,
Jaehoon Chung