On Tuesday 23 September 2014 13:18:30 Andrzej Hajda wrote:
> On 09/23/2014 01:10 PM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> I do not see why performance may drop significantly?
> >> If the link is one-way it should probably work as below:
> >> - the destination registers itself in some framework,
> >> - the source looks for the destination in this framework using phandle,
> >> - the source starts to communicate with the destination - since now full
> >> two way link can be established dynamically.
> >>
> >> Where do you see here big performance penalty?
> >
> > The performance-related problems arise when you need to locate the remote
> > device in the direction opposite to the phandle link direction. Traversing
> > a link forward just involves a phandle lookup, but traversing it
> > backwards isn't possible the same way.
>
> But you do not need to traverse backwards. You just wait when the source
> start to communicate with the destination, at this moment destination can
> build back-link dynamically.

Your driver might not need it today for your use cases, but can you be certain
that no driver on any OS would need to ?

This becomes an issue even on Linux when considering video-related devices
that can be part of either a capture pipeline or a display pipeline. If the
link always goes in the data flow direction, then it will be easy to locate
the downstream device (bridge or panel) from the display controller driver,
but it would be much more difficult to locate the same device from a camera
driver as all of a sudden the device would become an upstream device.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart