Bill Nottingham wrote:

> David Brownell ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said:
> > Looks like a promising direction, especially if (as you'd
> > suggested offline) very similar models can work for IDE.
> >
> > What would the job of /etc/hotplug/scsi.agent be?  I'm not
> > quite clear -- modprobe "sd" or "sg"?  Mount partitions
> > in the appropriate filesystem locations?
>
> - modprobe whatever scsi modules are appropriate
> - create appropriate mount points & entries in /etc/fstab
> - signal whatever thing is creating desktop icons to add new ones
>   (if it's not watching /etc/fstab)
>
> We've got something here that we're using to do the second
> of these; it is currently getting called on pcmcia/usb events
> for storage things, but it runs into the problem that requires
> this SCSI event system (race between device creation, userland
> notification, and partition table reading...)

I have added a simple scsi.agent script that modprobes
the various scsi upper level drivers (e.g. sr and st) based
on the scsi type of the newly added device. See:
http://www.torque.net/scsi/scsiinfo.html

Can anyone think of a better name than "scsiinfo" as H.
Peter Anvin doesn't like it?

Doug Gilbert