On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:39:22PM -0600, James Bottomley wrote:
> I just got around to applying and testing this.  I needed the attached
> to get around the compile warnings it gave me on ia64
>
> I've got to say, it doesn't look pretty to have the block layer
> compat_ioctl returning long but the scsi one returning int; likewise
> with the void __user *arg vs unsigned long arg.

Seconded.  Use of long is utter idiocy:
        a) ioctl(2) is declared as int in userland headers
        b) ->ioctl() returns int
        c) ->compat_ioctl() is supposed to emulate ->ioctl() of 32bit
platform, for fsck sake!  Even if none of the above would apply, it
would _still_ be 32bit.

And the first two reasons apply to ->unlocked_ioctl() as well.  Could we
please undo that bright decision until it's too late?  I can do patches
for that in by tomorrow morning...