On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 02:17:22PM -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-07-17 at 18:05 +0300, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 09:15:00PM +0000, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> > > From: Nicholas Bellinger <n...@linux-iscsi.org>
> > >
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > The following is a RFC-v2 series of tcm_vhost target fabric driver code
> > > currently in-flight for-3.6 mainline code.
> > >
> > > After last week's developments along with the help of some new folks, the
> > > changelog v1 -> v2 so far looks like:
> > >
> > > *) Fix drivers/vhost/test.c to use VHOST_NET_FEATURES in patch #1 (Asias
> > > He)
> > > *) Fix tv_cmd completion -> release SGL memory leak (nab)
> > > *) Fix sparse warnings for static variable usage (Fengguang Wu)
> > > *) Fix sparse warnings for min() typing + printk format specs (Fengguang
> > > Wu)
> > > *) Convert to cmwq submission for I/O dispatch (nab + hch)
> > >
> > > Also following Paolo's request, a patch for hw/virtio-scsi.c that sets
> > > scsi_host->max_target=0 that removes the need for virtio-scsi LLD to
> > > hardcode
> > > VirtIOSCSIConfig->max_id=1 in order to function with tcm_vhost.
> > >
> > > Note this series has been pushed into target-pending.git/for-next-merge,
> > > and
> > > should be getting picked up for tomorrow's linux-next build.
> > >
> > > Please let us know if you have any concerns and/or additional review
> > > feedback.
> > >
> > > Thank you!
> >

> > It still seems not 100% clear whether this driver will have major
> > userspace using it. And if not, it would be very hard to support a driver
> > when recent userspace does not use it in the end.
> >

> I'm happy to commit to working with QEMU + kvm-tool folks to get to a
> series that can (eventually) see vhost-scsi support merged into upstream
> userspace code.
>
> It took roughly 2 years to get the megasas HBA emulation from Dr. Hannes
> merged, but certainly vhost-scsi has alot less moving pieces and
> hopefully alot less controversial bits than the buffer -> SGL
> conversion..  The key word being here 'hopefully'..  ;)
>
> > I think a good idea for 3.6 would be to make it depend on CONFIG_STAGING.
> > Then we don't commit to an ABI.
> > For this, you can add a separate Kconfig and source it from
> > drivers/staging/Kconfig.
> > Maybe it needs to be in a separate directory drivers/vhost/staging/Kconfig.
> >

> So tcm_vhost has been marked as Experimental following virtio-scsi.
>
> Wrt to staging, I'd like to avoid mucking with staging because:
>
> *) The code has been posted for review
> *) The code has been converted to use the latest target-core primitives
> *) The code does not require cleanups between staging -> merge
> *) The code has been stable the last 7 days since RFC-v2 with heavy

staging is not just for code that needs cleanups.
It's for anything that does not guarantee ABI stability yet.
And I think it's a bit early to guarantee ABI stability - 7 days
is not all that long.

See for example Anthony's comments that raise exactly the ABI
issues.

> Also, tcm_vhost has been marked as Experimental following virtio-scsi.
> I'd much rather leave it at Experimental until we merge upstream
> userspace support.   If userspace support never ends up materializing,
> I'm fine with dropping it all together.

Once it's in kernel you never know who will use this driver.
Experimental does not mean driver can be dropped, staging does.

> However at this point given that there is a 3x performance gap between
> virtio-scsi-raw + virtio-scsi+tcm_vhost for random mixed small block
> I/O, and we still need the latter to do proper SCSI CDB passthrough for
> non TYPE_DISK devices I'm hoping that we can agree on userspace bits
> once tcm_vhost is merged.
>
> --nab

I do think upstream kernel would help you nail userspace issues too
but at this point it looks like either staging meterial or 3.6 is too
early.

--
MST