>>>>> "Pasi" == Pasi Kärkkäinen <pa...@iki.fi> writes:

Pasi> So physically the disk is using 520 bytes/sector (and needs to
Pasi> support that), but logically the HBA presents 512 bytes/sector +
Pasi> PI.. is that correct?

Yep. The beauty of PI is that we can store the extra stuff without
having to deal with weird block sizes.

Pasi> I guess what I'm asking is: Can I use sg_format to enable
Pasi> checksums/protection on any disk that physically supports 520
Pasi> bytes/sector, or does the disk need to have special T10 data
Pasi> protection support aswell?

The disk needs to support T10 PI (PROTECT=1 in the Standard Inquiry VPD
page). We don't support driving the HBA in PI mode with a non-PI target.

--
Martin K. Petersen      Oracle Linux Engineering