On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 15:23 -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
> James, Robert-
>       I've been doing lots of backports of FCoE code to the RHEL tree these
> last few months, and I've noticed something fairly irritating, and I was
> wondering if you two could help me out with it (in fact you two are the only
> two
> which can).  I noticed that commits which are accepted into the FCoE tree that
> get passed upstream through the scsi tree have their commit hashes altered.  I
> can't find any examples currently, due to the fact that you, Robert, have
> recently re-cloned your git tree at open-fcoe.org, so all this nastiness has
> been covered up currently, but if things don't change, this issue will quickly
> resurface.
>
> Regardless, This makes it _really_ difficult to track a given patchs'
> traversal
> between trees upstream, and makes my life as a distro subsystem maintainer
> fairly
> painful.  Normally I would just live with it, but I can't see any reason why
> it
> should be this way, given that git can easily prevent this with a pull.
> James,
> Robert, could you two please work out a way to provide commit hash consistency
> between your trees?  It would make mine (and I'm sure many other people's)
> lives, much easier.

I'm reluctant to commit to any tracking process that relies on stable
commit ids simply because they're illusory in git:  if we find a bug in
a commit (or even worse a bisection failure) in a tree, we fix it there,
which causes the commit id to change.

The way I do this type of tracking is via the Subject: line ... why
can't you use that?

James