On 5/13/2013 10:03 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> The other LUNs haven't reported an error. But how do you know whether they
> are still okay? The other LUNs might simply be idle, and no commands have
> been send to them.

        Well, how about generating std inquiry against them if they are idle
and the
given HBA has a device in error state? Then you can make a rough approximation
of what has failed, and escalate the error handling if all the devices at a
particular level have failed.

        The midlayer may not even need to send the inquiries. If the individual
device drivers (sd/st/etc) are responsible for monitoring and error recovery
then they can be tasked with determining device availability as well. I think
this solves other problems too. For example, the use of TUR in the midlayer,
is a problem because it doesn't have enough knowledge about the possible check
conditions being returned to act on them appropriately.