>> My patch provides both the original VPD 0x83 and 0x80 bits as well as
>> a handle identical to /sbin/scsi_id.

Hannes> Bah, don't do that.  That should better be handled by udev
Hannes> rules.  I've got a set of patches moving from scsi_id to sg_inq,
Hannes> which can be easily adapted to using sysfs directly.

I just want to get out of the "userland sending random SCSI commands"
business. That is a world of pain right now.

I wanted to provide a handle that was guaranteed to be compatible with
existing tooling. If you have worked around that in udev rules I guess
that's OK with me.

--
Martin K. Petersen      Oracle Linux Engineering