On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 Alan Stern wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Alfredo Dal Ava Junior wrote:
>
> That's right.  I don't know why Windows behaves that way.

Please look this output from diskpart (Windows):

DISKPART> list partition

  Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary           3726 GB    17 KB

DISKPART> list disk

  Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
  --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
  Disk 0    Online          298 GB      0 B
* Disk 1    Online         1678 GB      0 B        *

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

  Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
  -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
  Partition 1    Primary           3726 GB    17 KB

> > Could we do the same? Would be possible to signalize to upper layers
> > that capacity is not accurate (or return zero) on this device, and
> > tell GPT handlers to bypass it's partition_size vs disk size
> > consistency check?
>
> There is no way to do this, as far as I know.  But I'm not an expert in this
> area.
> Maybe you can figure out a way to add this capability.
>
> (But then what happens if the size stored in the partition table really is
> larger
> than the disk's capacity?)

It's the first time I touch this code, but I will learn from the code and try
to find it out... but still in hope to find a clean solution...
If size stored on partition table is really larger than disk, my guess it will
cause I/O errors, and that some disks may get crazy like you pointed.
Do you think disk could cause kernel instability? I think it is acceptable if
no consequences to kernel stability, since it is a "specific-device"
workaround.

[]'s
Alfredo