>>>>> "Sagi" == Sagi Grimberg <sa...@dev.mellanox.co.il> writes:

Sagi,

Sagi> I see, It's just confusing to see flags such as
Sagi> REF_INCREMENT/GUARD_CHECK/REF_CHECK associated with a set of prot
Sagi> operations, but I guess it's just me.  Do you really need the mask
Sagi> anyway? seems like just an extra precaution against wrong
Sagi> flagging.

I did it this way to avoid having several additional special cases in
the hot path. Instead I apply a mask at the end to filter out any flags
that would be invalid for that particular protection operation. It
simplified the protection prep code significantly.

I was also afraid of drivers blindly using the flags to fill out IOCB
fields. I was guilty of that myself in the ones I converted and it
tripped firmware errors in several cases during qualification runs. So I
decided to be on the defensive side about the flags I send down to the
LLD. I'd also rather have that filtering encapsulated in single location
instead of every driver having to figure out whether it's being
presented with a valid combination of flags or not.

Sagi> Nice, I posted "RDMA signature feature update" preparing iSER DIF
Sagi> code to complement this change - all that is left now is a
Sagi> straight-forward conversion.

Great!

--
Martin K. Petersen      Oracle Linux Engineering