Martin,

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 7:22 AM, Martin K. Petersen
<martin.peter...@oracle.com> wrote:

> Souptick,
>
> Sorry about the delay. Been out for a few days.

> Souptick> Any further comment on this ?
>
> I took one of your other patches because the driver maintainer acked it,
> thus assuming responsibility for testing it and fixing any regressions
> it may cause.
>
> The failure rate on these "trivial" patches to old and unmaintained
> drivers is very high. And since you are not fixing any bugs and your
> change is functionally identical what the code already does, why would
> we merge it and risk a regression? (for changes like this, a Tested-by:
> from somebody with actual hardware is worth a thousand Reviewed-by:
> tags).
>
> Also, I'm not really convinced that this constant churn of new and
> "improved" kernel interface helper functions is really solving anything.
> Quite the contrary. Real bug fixes for drivers adopting the
> pci_pool_zalloc() interface will now potentially be harder to backport
> to stable releases predating 4.4 or whenever that call was introduced.
>
> So in summary, I don't see any actual benefits to your proposed
> change. It's probably fine, but why would I risk merging it?

  I understand the importance of testing this patch on old and
unmaintained driver and
  totally agreed with your point of view now.

  I will drop this patch.
  If possible, can you please let me know what are all the basic
stability test cases are covered
  for SCSI drivers?

> Hope that all makes sense...
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Martin K. Petersen      Oracle Linux Engineering

Thanks -
Souptick