> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 10:25:50AM +0100, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> this is a patchset to enable full multiqueue support for the mpt3sas driver.
>> While the HBA only has a single mailbox register for submitting commands,
>> it does have individual receive queues per MSI-X interrupt and as such
>> does benefit from converting it to full multiqueue support.
>
> Explanation and numbers on why this would be beneficial, please.
> We should not need multiple submissions queues for a single register
> to benefit from multiple completion queues.

Well, the actual throughput very strongly depends on the blk-mq-sched
patches from Jens.
As this is barely finished I didn't post any numbers yet.

However:
With multiqueue support:
4k seq read : io=60573MB, bw=1009.2MB/s, iops=258353, runt= 60021msec
With scsi-mq on 1 queue:
4k seq read : io=17369MB, bw=296291KB/s, iops=74072, runt= 60028msec
So yes, there _is_ a benefit.

(Which is actually quite cool, as these tests were done on a SAS3 HBA,
so we're getting close to the theoretical maximum of 1.2GB/s).
(Unlike the single-queue case :-)

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke                Teamlead Storage & Networking
h...@suse.de                                   +49 911 74053 688