Hi Ming -

I gone through thread discussing "support host-wide tagset". Below Link
has latest reply on that thread.
https://marc.info/?l=linux-block&m=149132580511346&w=2

I think, there is a confusion over mpt3sas and megaraid_sas h/w behavior.
Broadcom/LSI HBA and MR h/w has only one h/w queue for submission but
there are multiple reply queue.
Even though I include Hannes' patch for host-side tagset, problem
described in this RFC will not be resolved.  In fact, tagset can also
provide same results if completion queue is less than online CPU. Don't
you think ? OR I am missing anything ?

We don't have problem in submission path.  Current problem is MSI-x to
more than one  CPU can cause I/O loop. This is visible, if we have higher
number of online CPUs.

> > Example - one CPU (e.g. CPU A) is busy submitting the IOs and another
> > CPU (e.g. CPU B) is busy with processing the corresponding IO's reply
> > descriptors from reply descriptor queue upon receiving the interrupts
> > from HBA. If the CPU A is continuously pumping the IOs then always CPU
> > B (which is executing the ISR) will see the valid reply descriptors in
> > the reply descriptor queue and it will be continuously processing
> > those reply descriptor in a loop without quitting the ISR handler.
> > Mpt3sas driver will exit ISR handler if it finds unused reply
> > descriptor in the reply descriptor queue. Since CPU A will be
> > continuously sending the IOs, CPU B may always see a valid reply
> > descriptor (posted by HBA Firmware after processing the IO) in the
> > reply descriptor queue. In worst case, driver will not quit from this
> > loop in the ISR handler. Eventually, CPU lockup will be detected by
> watchdog.
> >
> > Above mentioned behavior is not common if "rq_affinity" set to 2 or
> > affinity_hint is honored by irqbalance as "exact".
> > If rq_affinity is set to 2, submitter will be always interrupted via
> > completion on same CPU.
> > If irqbalance is using "exact" policy, interrupt will be delivered to
> > submitter CPU.
>
> Now you have used pci_alloc_irq_vectors(PCI_IRQ_AFFINITY) to get msix
> vector number, the irq affinity can't be changed by userspace any more.
>

> > Problem statement -
> > If CPU counts to MSI-X vectors (reply descriptor Queues) count ratio
> > is not 1:1, we still have  exposure of issue explained above and for
> > that we don't have any solution.
> >
> > Exposure of soft/hard lockup if CPU count is more than MSI-x supported
> > by device.
> >
> > If CPUs count to MSI-x vectors count ratio is not 1:1, (Other way, if
> > CPU counts to MSI-x vector count ratio is something like X:1, where X
> > > 1) then 'exact' irqbalance policy OR rq_affinity = 2 won't help to
> > avoid CPU hard/soft lockups. There won't be any one to one mapping
> > between CPU to MSI-x vector instead one MSI-x interrupt (or reply
> > descriptor queue) is shared with group/set of CPUs and there is a
> > possibility of having a loop in the IO path within that CPU group and
may
> observe lockups.
> >
> > For example: Consider a system having two NUMA nodes and each node
> > having four logical CPUs and also consider that number of MSI-x
> > vectors enabled on the HBA is two, then CPUs count to MSI-x vector
count
> ratio as 4:1.
> > e.g.
> > MSIx vector 0 is affinity to  CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2 & CPU 3 of NUMA node
> > 0 and MSI-x vector 1 is affinity to CPU 4, CPU 5, CPU 6 & CPU 7 of
> > NUMA node 1.
> >
> > numactl --hardware
> > available: 2 nodes (0-1)
> > node 0 cpus: 0 1 2 3
-->
> > MSI-x 0
> > node 0 size: 65536 MB
> > node 0 free: 63176 MB
> > node 1 cpus: 4 5 6 7
> > -->MSI-x 1
> > node 1 size: 65536 MB
> > node 1 free: 63176 MB
> >
> > Assume that user started an application which uses all the CPUs of
> > NUMA node 0 for issuing the IOs.
> > Only one CPU from affinity list (it can be any cpu since this behavior
> > depends upon irqbalance) CPU0 will receive the interrupts from MSIx
> > vector
> > 0 for all the IOs. Eventually, CPU 0 IO submission percentage will be
> > decreasing and ISR processing percentage will be increasing as it is
> > more busy with processing the interrupts. Gradually IO submission
> > percentage on CPU 0 will be zero and it's ISR processing percentage
> > will be 100 percentage as IO loop has already formed within the NUMA
> > node 0, i.e. CPU 1, CPU 2 & CPU 3 will be continuously busy with
> > submitting the heavy IOs and only CPU 0 is busy in the ISR path as it
> > always find the valid reply descriptor in the reply descriptor queue.
> > Eventually, we will observe the hard lockup here.
> >
> > Chances of occurring of hard/soft lockups are directly proportional to
> > value of X. If value of X is high, then chances of observing CPU
> > lockups is high.
> >
> > Solution -
> > Fix - 1 Use IRQ poll interface defined in " irq_poll.c". mpt3sas
> > driver will execute ISR routine in Softirq context and it will always
> > quit the loop based on budget provided in IRQ poll interface.
> >
> > In these scenarios( i.e. where CPUs count to MSI-X vectors count ratio
> > is
> > X:1 (where X >  1)),  IRQ poll interface will avoid CPU hard lockups
> > due to voluntary exit from the reply queue processing based on budget.
> > Note - Only one MSI-x vector is busy doing processing. Irqstat ouput -
> >
> > IRQs / 1 second(s)
> > IRQ#  TOTAL  NODE0   NODE1   NODE2   NODE3  NAME
> >   44    122871   122871   0       0       0  IR-PCI-MSI-edge
> > mpt3sas0-msix0
> >   45        0              0           0       0       0
IR-PCI-MSI-edge