On Tue, 2015-10-20 at 15:10 +0300, Petko Manolov wrote:
> On 15-10-20 08:00:29, Mimi Zohar wrote:

> > > I have not considered allowing non-root users to read the policy - i was
> > > merely
> > > cleaning up the Zbigniew's patch.  I guess it might be useful to be able
> > > to read
> > > the policy when in development mode.
> >
> > I guess I wasn't clear.  I don't have a problem with the patch itself, just
> > with the patch description.  What is this "security hole" that the option
> > should ONLY be configured for development?  Only privileged users can view
> > the
> > policy.  I don't see the problem with configuring it in general.  Please
> > remove the comment.
>
> By "security hole" i mean being able to read it at all.  Root or non-root.
> Knowing what the IMA policy is may give the attacker an idea how to
> circumvent
> it.  I used stronger words in order to attract the user's attention and
> consider
> carefully what the implications are when enabling this option.
>
> However, i do not insist on keeping this comment.  I will remove it or
> re-word
> it if you think it is nonsensical in it's present form.
>
> BTW, i still think it is a good idea that only the root user have access to
> the
> IMA policy.  Unless i hear otherwise i am planning to keep the current
> functionality.

Exactly!  Because only privileged users (eg. root) have access to
securityfs files, I don't see the security concern.

> > Since responding, I've enabled this feature.  Very nice!
>
> Have you tried it?

Yes, being able to see the existing policy is nice.

BTW, I haven't compared this patch with the original one yet.  Unless
there were so many changes so that it isn't the same patch anymore, the
patch author should be Zbigniew JasiƄski <z.jasin...@samsung.com>.  Any
changes you made would be listed in the change log.

Mimi