On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Alexey Brodkin
<alexey.brod...@synopsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> On Wed, 2017-09-06 at 10:25 -0500, Rob Herring wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 8:51 AM, Alexey Brodkin
>> <alexey.brod...@synopsys.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Vineet, Rob,

> [snip]
>
>> > Yeah, that's an interesting question. We may indeed move more smarts to
>> > the clock driver
>> > but:
>> >  1. We'll have duplicate code in different clock drivers. Even today that
>> > kind of clock
>> >     setup is applicable to AXS10x and HSDK platforms (and they use
>> > different clock drivers).
>>
>> No, you could provide a common, shared function to call. Then each
>> platform can opt-in. If you can make something that applies to every
>> single platform now or in the future, then I'd put it in arch. If you
>> have plans to decouple the timer and cpu clocks, then sounds like you
>> can't.
>
> Right so we'll implement a function which is called by a platform if required.
> That way we escape copy-pasting while keeping enough flexibility for current
> and future platforms.
>
>> IMO, if it's not part of the defined CPU architecture, then don't put
>> it in arch/. That's how we end up with multiple copies of the same
>> thing done arbitrarily different ways because few people look across
>> architectures.
>
> So do you propose to have the function [that reads "clock-frequency" from say
> CPU node and passes its value to CPU's parent clock driver] in generic
> [i.e. architecture agnostic] code somewhere in "init/main.c"?

No, just like you said above and have the platform's clock driver
initialize frequencies.

I haven't seen anyone else want such a thing as generally the
bootloader should initialize things to something reasonable.

>> >  2. Print out of CPU frequency which is used during boot process for us is
>> > important as well
>> >     especially during bring-up of new HW.
>> >
>> >  3. If there's no dedicated "clock-frequency" parameter in CPU node we
>> > won't
>> >     change anything so that non-affected platforms will live as they used
>> > to.
>> >
>> > That said IMHO proposed implementation is what we want to kep for now.

>> No, I meant to point that out.
>
> Sorry, but for me it's not clear what did you mean here.
> Care to elaborate a bit more?

I noticed the same thing and meant to highlight that in my first
reply. Use clock-frequency, don't invent something new.

>> > I think we'll switch to more common "clock-frequency" in the next respin.
>> > Indeed "cpu-freq" might be a bit misleading.
>>
>> Ideally, you'd use the clock binding eventually.
>
> Again I'm probably missing something :)

"clock-frequency" property and the clock bindings (i.e. clocks =
<&phandle>) are generally mutually exclusive at least within clock
consumer side. There's the assigned-clocks binding which provides the
ability to set both parent clocks and frequency.

> I meant we will have both clock phandle and "clock-frequency" at the same
> time.
> Something like this:
> -------------------------------->8---------------------------
>         cpus {
>                 #address-cells = <1>;
>                 #size-cells = <0>;
>
>                 cpu@0 {
>                         device_type = "cpu";
>                         compatible = "snps,archs38";
>                         reg = <0>;
>                         clocks = <&core_clk>;
>                         clock-frequency = <100000000>;  <-- That's where we
> want to set desired value
>                 };
>         }
>
>         core_clk: core-clk@80 {
>                 compatible = "snps,axs10x-arc-pll-clock";
>                 reg = <0x80 0x10>, <0x100 0x10>;
>                 #clock-cells = <0>;
>                 clocks = <&input_clk>;
>         };
> -------------------------------->8---------------------------
>
> Or alternatively we may move "clock-frequency" right to the clock's node and
> have
> it like that:
> -------------------------------->8---------------------------
>         core_clk: core-clk@80 {
>                 compatible = "snps,axs10x-arc-pll-clock";
>                 reg = <0x80 0x10>, <0x100 0x10>;
>
> #clock-cells = <0>;
>                 clocks = <&input_clk>;
>                 clock-frequency = <100000000>;  <-- That's where we want to
> set desired value

I think this is how it should be done if you use clock-frequency prop.
This is inline with how fixed-clock binding is done.

Rob