On 12/20/2017 12:12 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
Sorry, I didn't realize we are missing the stack trace now which you removed
from the patch - why ? Did u intend to reduce inline generated code for the
stack dump calls - which sounds like a great idea. But it would only work
for the synchronous abort() but not when builtin translates to actual trap
inducing instruction.

I assumed that the trap instruction would trigger the register and
stack dump, as it does on all other architectures.

Only if __builtin_trap() translated to that instruction. Otherwise we need to do this inside abort()

The most common
way this is handled is to have one instruction that is known to trap,
and use that to trigger a BUG(), and have __builtin_trap() issue
that instruction as well.

Good point. So we'll need ARC specific abort anyways.

You might also want to implement CONFIG_DEBUG_BUGVERBOSE
support to attach further data to it.

OK I'll take a look !

How about overriding abort() with the same instruction that
__builtin_trap() inserts on newer compilers then? That should
make the behavior consistent.

Yeah this is a great point ! Will do

thx,
-Vineet