On Sun, 5 Jan 2014 16:01:20 -0800 (PST)
Patrick Wood <patrickhw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also, my experience with performance on the A10 devices over the last two
> years has shown me that ondemand is a really terrible governor, as it
> doesn't boost the CPU frequency unless utilization has been high over an
> extended period

This is easily tunable via knobs mentioned at http://linux-sunxi.org/Cpufreq

Specifically you want to reduce the up_threshold, in the example on that page
the frequency will be boosted as soon as the CPU utilization even touches 25%.
Not "high over extended period", is it? And then if an issue arises that it
drops back too quickly, that can be tuned by changing sampling_down_factor.

> so even programs that are CPU bound don't cause it to
> switch if they spend just a little time reading or writing data.

Set io_is_busy to 1, and even time spent reading or writing data (in iowait)
will count as "CPU load" for the purposes of frequency switching.

>  interactive is much better at increasing the CPU clock even on relatively
> small changes in demand.

My guess is that people tend to invent crazy new obscure governors mostly
because they didn't spend any time reading documentation for the existing ones
(and how to properly configure them for the usage scenario at hand).

--
With respect,
Roman