Hi,

On 28-12-14 11:12, Julian Calaby wrote:
Hi Hans,

On Sun, Dec 28, 2014 at 7:59 PM, Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> wrote:
Hi,

On 23-12-14 10:59, Jens Thiele wrote:

Hans de Goede <hdego...@redhat.com> writes:

2) How to build upstream u-boot for use with linux-sunxi sunxi-3.4
kernels

[...]

just wanted to report: success
and thank you!
will switch to upstream u-boot

works for me using:

A20-OLinuXino-MICRO + A13-LCD10TS (A20-OLinuXino_MICRO_defconfig)
and
slightly modified (older) sunxi-3.4 kernel (vmlinuz-3.4.75+)

had some trouble getting my own modifications to work at first (maybe
uEnv.txt isn't used at all?)

Correct, the default environment of upstream u-boot does not read uEnv.txt,
but usually old setups come with a boot.scr which does read uEnv.txt and it
should honor your boot.scr, this works for e.g. the Fedora allwinner remix
images.

but after all succeeded on the u-boot
command line using:

setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootwait
loglevel=8
load mmc 0 0x43000000 script.bin
load mmc 0 0x48000000 vmlinuz-3.4.75+
bootz 0x48000000

Good.

I see that you've a 10" olimex lcd module to go with your
A20-OLinuXino-MICRO,

I've written lcd support for u-boot (currently under review before going
upstream),
and I've tested it with the 7" olimex lcd module, it would be nice to also
include
an example defconfig for the 10" lcd module for users.

Stupid question: for a tablet, shouldn't the LCD parameters go in the
device tree? or are we currently in the chicken vs egg situation where
we don't have full kernel video out support, so no device tree, but
u-boot now has LCD support?

Right, the chicken-and-egg thing, in the long run I want to see the LCD
parameters be moved to devicetree, this will also allow doing things like
using dt overlays for add-on modules like the olimex lcd panels.

But we need kernel lcd support with stable dt bindings before we can use this
in u-boot as I don't want u-boot to have a different dt (binding) from the
kernel.

Note I could have also putten the lcd-timing info in the environment, for the
olimex case that makes some sense, but I've deliberately not done so as the
Kconfig stuff can simply be dropped when we get dt support for this, where as
with env settings I feel we would need to maintain some form of backward
compatibility.

Regards,

Hans