Hi community,

i decided to write a short email to our list in order to ask for the status of the mainline effort of display driver, video engine and mali. First of all, please don't get me wrong. This is no begging mail, it's just a try to bring us up-to-date what's going on with these features - if any work is planned on this or is even done already. Giving thanks to the mainlining developers we are at a point, where most of the features of the sunxi devices (mostly A10/A20) are supported very well in the mainline kernel.

To make these SoCs useable by the brighter mass, e.g. the multimedia or the desktop guys, there are "only" the display/video tasks missing. For what i know, Allwinner was and is still neither interested nor actively supporting that efforts in bringing their SoCs mainline. I followed that story - especially the GPL thing - nearly from the beginning and want to ask, if there is any news in Allwinner's attitude regarding this all? I recognized, that there has already been done some basic (and more or less complete) work on each of that tasks by different developers. I won't list the names, involved people know them, and something is/was listed in our wiki, too. In summary the basic question is, if these developers intend to finish their work at sometime or plan to share their efforts. If not, what are the reasons, why this seems to be "paused". Personal mood, Allwinner, payment, time? Is there anything that can be done by the community to help?

And, again, i don't beg and i'm not allowed to beg for anything, because i haven't contributed to mainline yet and don't have the skills and time to do that atm, at least for the bigger things. This email is just about trying to give us an update and maybe start a little discussion - if anybody wants to do so. Constructive discussion for sure :p If not, please notice, that there is at least one little user that honors the work of all contributors.

Regards
Andreas