Hello.

On Thu, 17 Dec 2015 15:30:44 +0000 (UTC) Martin <bananajoe4...@gmx.de>
wrote:
> Manuel Braga <mul.braga@...> writes:
>

> > > there is no possibility for jpeg-encoding,is it?
> >
> > Yes there is, the hardware supports jpeg baseline encoding, maximum
> > 4080x4080, this is the same type for mjpeg.
> >
> > And it is already almost complete reverse engineered, only misses
> > some checks in rounding values in the quantization step.
> > https://gitorious.org/recedro/jepoc
> > Of course this is a prof of concept, only a test to confirming how
> > the hardware works. But all that is need is there.
> >
> I know this is a quite old thread, but I would like to implement jpeg
> thumbnail encoding in XMBC (since jpeg HW decoding is working now),

This is interesting, is the work(source) available somewhere?

> but gitorious has closed down and therefore the link
> https://gitorious.org/recedro/jepoc
> is no longer working.
> Is this proof of concept for JPEG encoding on Allwinner A10/A20
> anywhere else available?

http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/users/nove/jepoc.tar.gz
Until a new place is found, a tarball should suffice.

But as you well are aware, this a proof of concept with the function to
prove that we understand how to use this hardware. And only that.

It is not recommend to use this for any other function.

The correct solution is to work for a proper driver for this video
engine, and then work with the upstream people to assure proper
support for the (random) software.

But, it is seen that majority of the hardware vendors and its users are
more interested to run around binaries blob with license ambiguity
issues.
Than to support the work this community (linux-sunxi) is doing.

And off course with this unfavorable conditions, is natural this work
for an 100% free-and-open-source proper driver is not at the level of
advance that we all wish it to be.

If only if.

--
Manuel Braga