Hi Piotr!

I've tried this on an A20 Banana Pi (model 1), and entering FEL mode works for me - both with the prebuilt bin/fel-sdboot.sunxi and with a binary freshly compiled from fel-sdboot.c according to instructions. With the SD card prepared and inserted, powering on or resetting the A20 enters FEL mode (I observe the USB disconnect / new device messages in syslog, and can query the SoC with "./sunxi-fel ver").

Is there a particular reason you want this done via SD card, e.g. to circumvent booting from NAND? If your device has no NAND, then you might just as well power on the A20 with _no_ SD card inserted, which should also enter FEL mode. (FEL is part of the BROM startup sequence as a 'fallback' if no other valid boot device is found.)

Regards, B. Nortmann

Hi all,
I'm trying to enter FEL mode by using SD card image provided in
sunxi-tools. I follow procedure:

http://linux-sunxi.org/FEL#Through_a_special_SD_card_image

it doesn't seem to work as expected. Booting process stall. It doesn't
not proceed through boot order, so this seems to be ok. But FEL tool
cannot communicate with device and there is no logs in Linux dmesg
showing that new USB device was detected. So I assume device didn't
enter FEL.

Running FEL mode using button works fine, but I would like to validate
procedures that can work without FEL/Recovery button.

What I tried:

* Cubietruck and A20-OLinuXino-MICRO
* toolchains (Linaro 2014.07, 2015.05)
* different order of power on and inserting USB cable
* SD cards (Samsung, SanDisk, Kingston)
* enter using UART method:
  http://linux-sunxi.org/FEL#Through_serial_console

Can someone confirm that this feature ever worked with mentioned boards?

Have you got any ideas what may be wrong or how to enter FEL without
button ?

Best Regards,
--
Piotr Król