Hi,

Ondřej Jirman wrote:

> We have boards that have 1.1/1.3V switching, only 1.3V, fine tuned
> voltage regulation and every such board will need it's own set of
> operating points.

Yes, and Allwinner's current BSP kernel code might encourage board makers
to implement a forth variant: switching between 4 different voltages
through GPIOs.

Currently we have 4 boards that rely on the simple '2 voltage regulation'
all using 1.1V/1.3V: Orange Pi One and Lite and NanoPi M1 and NEO. Then
there are 2 devices with (legacy) Linux support existing that use no
voltage regulation at all: Banana Pi M2+ (according to schematic using 1.2V
but in reality it's 1.3V VDD_CPUX) and Beelink X2. And according to Tsvetan
if/when Olimex will release their 2 H3 boards we have two more with fixed
but yet unknown VDD_CPUX voltage (since olimex fears overheating maybe they
use 1.1V or 1.2V limiting max cpufreq to 816 or 1008 MHz). And all the
bigger H3 based Orange Pi use the SY8106A voltage regulator being able to
adjust VDD_CPUX in steps of 20mV allowing VDD_CPUX to exceed 1200 MHz (a
reasonable value seems to be 1296 MHz since above throttling will be an
issue without active cooling)

Things get even worse since Xunlong uses copper layers inside the PCB to
spread the heat away from H3 so Orange Pi One/Lite do not overheat that
much like eg. NanoPi M1 (and maybe NEO -- can tell next week when I get dev
samples to play with). So while eg. Orange Pi One and NanoPi M1 switch
between the same voltages in the same way we (Armbian) found that we have
to allow M1 to downclock to even 240 MHz since when testing with legacy
kernel really heavy workloads led to throttling that low (even CPU cores
were killed at this low clockspeed -- same applies to BPi M2+ and Beelink
X2)

So i would second Ondřej's suggestions since when we're talking about H3
devices we're not talking about tablet SoCs with accompanied PMU but 3
classes of devices behaving totally different in regard to cpufreq limits
and dvfs OPPs (and maybe someone is already developing a new H3 device
adding a forth variant switching between 4 different VDD_CPUX voltages)

Thomas