Enabling VGA is required before it will work.

Check out https://linux-sunxi.org/Fex_Guide and
https://linux-sunxi.org/Display and https://linux-sunxi.org/Script.bin

And well, all the other pages on the wiki ;)

As for root filesystem, you can use any with a proper ACL , so -not- Fat32
or NTFS , but most others are ok. Depends on which medium you are setting
it up really