Hi Jean-François,

Dne sreda, 30. november 2016 10.35.08 UTC+1 je oseba Jean-François Moine
napisala:

> > > So, I don't see how this may work.
> > > How can the u-boot know the resolutions of the HDMI display device?
> > >
> > > In other words: I have a new H3 board with the last u-boot and kernel.
> > > I plug my (rather old or brand new) HDMI display device.
> > > After powering on the system, I hope to get something on the screen.
> > > How?
> >
> > If it works like the driver for the first display engine in U-Boot, it
> > will use the preferred mode reported by the EDID, and will fallback to
> > 1024x768 if it cannot access it.
>
> Icenowy wrote: "simplefb won't use EDID"
>
> Then, if it is like in the kernel, the 1024x768 mode is VGA. It does
> not work with HDMI (different timings).

U-Boot driver now accept any timings recommended by EDID. So far it
was tested with at least following resolutions:
- 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz
- 1280x1024 @ 60 Hz
- 1280x800 @ 60 Hz (slight clock difference)
- 800x480 (not sure about frame rate)
- 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz (4K)

and nobody complained so far. I'm pretty sure 1024x768 would work.

> > Maybe it would be worth exchanging on the EDID code that has been done
> > for the u-boot driver too, so that it can be fixed in your driver.
>
> The u-boot got my code, and, up to now, I could not fix the random or
> permanent failures of EDID reading in some boards.

I only have one OPi2, but as I said, EDID always worked for me. The only
code left from you is for DE2. HDMI stuff is basically copied from Rockhip
driver (including EDID reading), TCON code is now reverted to the same as
it is in sunxi_display.c. I think it is worth to take a look at EDID code
and
compare it.

> --
> Ken ar c'hentañ        |              ** Breizh ha Linux atav! **
> Jef                |                http://moinejf.free.fr/

Best regards,
Jernej Škrabec