Hello All,

The last version of sunxi-tools v1.4.2 has been released almost a year
ago. So it's a high time to tag a new one soon.

I propose to set a deadline for pull requests one week from now on the
next Sunday (24.09.2017), then dedicate a week primarily to testing
and improving documentation with the intention to tag the v1.5 release
on 01.10.2017

If necessary, we may have follow-up bugfix releases v1.5.1, v1.5.2, ...

I can step up and nominate myself as a temporary sunxi-tools maintainer
for this particular release if Bernhard Nortmann does not have any
objections.

As for the features, which should go into this release. First we need
to resolve bug https://github.com/linux-sunxi/sunxi-tools/issues/104
People reported that v.1.4.2 has a problem in the compatible version
checking code and fails to FEL boot newer U-Boot images with the
following error message:

   sunxi SPL version mismatch: found 0x02 > maximum supported 0x01
   You need a more recent version of this (sunxi-tools) fel utility.

The other things in the top priority list are the FIT container format
support for the main U-Boot binary and TOC0 container format for
the SPL. Currently sunxi-tools does not recognize either of these.
And these features are needed to get full support for modern 64-bit
Allwinner SoCs (A64/H64/H5).

We also need to go through the list of bugreports and do something
about them.

Because way too many people have commit access to the sunxi-tools
repository, I would like to see the following rules respected (this
is nothing new, I've been following this practice myself since a while
ago):
  1. All features should go in via reviewed pull requests. One of the
     reasons for this is that we have travis-ci active, which does the
     initial basic QA check for any pull request submissions.
  2. Never merge any pull requests without giving a 2-3 days notice
     via a github comment. Because absence of activity on some pull
     request does not automatically mean that nobody has any objections.
     But if you get no objections within this short notice period, then
     go ahead.

The timeline is preliminary and we can extend the deadlines a bit if
some features need more time (but preferably by no more than one extra
week). Do you have any comments or suggestions?

--
Best regards,
Siarhei Siamashka