@dino99  : are you working at google on chromium ?

Your argument is pretty wrong, there is Zero impact if this feature is
hidden with a flag that one could enable when deployed.

Today we are stuck because we need to recompile.

Sorry but one could think that google wants to slow DesktopLinux
progress.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of UBUNTU -
AL - BR, which is subscribed to Chromium Browser.

Title:
  Chromium does not use the GPU to decode videos

Status in Chromium Browser:
  Unknown
Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed

Bug description:
  The chromium team has done a great job to totally disable hardware
  decoding on Linux.

  Even ignoring the GPU blacklist does not enable GPU decoding.

  How ever the patch is quite simple and it's already working using this
  PPA ( using libVA ) :

  https://launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/+archive/ubuntu/chromium-dev

  the corresponding patch is here :

  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~saiarcot895/chromium-browser/chromium-
  browser.trusty.beta/view/head:/debian/patches/enable_vaapi_on_linux.diff

  that would be great if we could have this patch indefault Ubuntu
  chromium build, this situation is really sad right now, google use
  linux to make chromeOS so chromebook are really good at playing videos
  but GNU/Linux chromium is slow at doing it.