This was fixed in the meantime.

  $ chromium --class=o
  $ wmctrl -lx
  0x03200002  0 chromium.o            canonical New Tab - Chromium

If you can still reproduce the bug, please bump this report.

** Changed in: chromium-browser (Ubuntu)

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of UBUNTU -
AL - BR, which is subscribed to Chromium Browser.

Title:
  Chromium aura doesn't honor the --class parameter anymore

Status in BAMF:
  Won't Fix
Status in Chromium Browser:
  Unknown
Status in Unity:
  Won't Fix
Status in chromium-browser package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  At Ubuntu 13.10, I could have different instances of chromium (with
  different profiles) have separate icons in unity. All I had to do was
  change the StartupWMClass=  and the --class= in the exec= line in the
  desktop launcher. Starting with 14.04, Unity ignores these values and
  groups the chromium windows together. Similarly, webapp instances
  (created using file-> create application shortcuts) are also grouped
  under the one chromium icon. This beats the purpose of webapps, as it
  makes it much more difficult to regard a webpage as an application.

  To replicate:
  1. copy the chromium-browser.desktop to two different locations: 1.desktop
and 2.desktop.
  2. Edit 1.desktop to the following values:
  Exec=chromium-browser --temp-profile --class=Other %U
  StartupWMClass=Other
  3. Edit 2.desktop to the following values:
  Exec=chromium-browser --temp-profile --class=Other2 %U
  StartupWMClass=Other2
  4. Start both from nautilus or from the desktop.

  In 13.10, this results in separate icons on the launcher, in 14.04,
  only one.

  It seems that I'm not the only one to encounter this problem:
  http://askubuntu.com/questions/450113/multiple-chromium-icons-in-
  launcher-of-14-04-lts

  And this is further evidence that the icons were separable in previous
  versions: http://ricardofeliciano.me/how-to-create-a-unity-launcher-
  icon-for-each-chromechromium-profile-in-ubuntu/

  Thanks,
  UCP