On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Greg KH wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 08:28:57PM -0500, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> > > You've said that if a device is disconnected, it's urbs will eventually
> > > timeout, right?  So everything should be fine, given what I say below...
> >
> > Actually, not in every case. If the driver was unloaded because the
> > sysadmin wanted it unloaded, then the device could still be present and
> > won't be forced into error by the HC.
>
> Yeah, but I'm not worried to much about oopes on forced unloading, you
> get what you deserve in that case :)

But that's not the point. The driver can be unbound from the device
through ioctl, device reset or configuration change(soon) before
unloading.
The URB in this case must, unless a timeout is specified, be unlinked
explicitely. Utterly normal unload is affected.

> > I take it back, the driver needs to unlink them, it can't depend on it
> > happening automagically because of an error.
>
> Only on urbs with no timeouts, right?

Which are the vast majority.
Furthermore, if you do this, the timeouts must be short, or you'll
block too long.

        Regards
                Oliver