On 15 Jul 2003, Daniel Stöckner wrote:

> I´m not in this list. In earlier Versions of Kernel 2.5., in Version
> 2.4.21-pre7 and in Windows XP :( it works. It is a Maxtor 120GB
> Harddisk-drive connected to a USB2 usb-atapi-interface. After some
> seconds of powering up, the traffic LED turns on and stays lid. But the
> device hangs. No access possible. "cat /dev/sda" hangs (unkillable).
> cdrecord -scanbus doesn´t detect any device. SCSI support is directly
> compiled into the kernel. USB-Storage is build as a module. I couldn´t
> find any similar problem in this or the kernel-mailing list.
> Thanks in advance! You do great work here!

Daniel:

Can you post a kernel log with usb-storage debugging turned on showing the
device working correctly, with 2.4.[21-22] or better yet a recent 2.5?
>From the information you gave here, it looks like the device has trouble
replying to a MODE-SENSE command and then hangs.  It might help to see how
it is able to reply properly with a different version of the driver.

Also include a copy of /proc/bus/usb/devices, just to be thorough.