On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Martin Diehl wrote:

> Agreed, the oops doesn't come from usb. But again, once we have the block
> and scsi layer behaving with disappearing devices, there will still be fs
> corruption - do we want this to happen because the hcd *appears* unused?

I agree.  On the other hand, increasing the HCD's use count for _every_
interface claimed may be going too far.  There are plenty of drivers that
won't cause any problems at all if the controller driver is removed out
from under them.  That includes usb-storage, provided the storage device
isn't mounted.

Maybe a good compromise would be to increment the use count only for
interfaces claimed by usb-storage.  That's not perfect; ideally we should
do it only when the drive is mounted.  But usb-storage has no way to know
when that happens.

I'm more intrigued by the second oops in your original message, the one
that occurred when you re-installed the HC driver.  The oops happened
inside the SCSI code, which is rather surprising.  And it occurred at a
spot which ought to be trouble-free.  I'm going to have to try and
duplicate that on my system.

By the way, unplugging (or just turning off) the drive ought to have the
same effect as rmmod-ing the HCD.