On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 09:58:24AM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> Moe Wibble wrote:
> >
> >1. boot the machine with the drive plugged into the usb 2.0 controller
> >   (it is properly recognized and works fine at first...)
> >2. mount the drive
> >3. copy a large file to the drive (which reproducably fails after about
> >~450M)

> >13:12:06 sim k: hub.c: port 6, portstatus 503, change 10, 480 Mb/s
> >13:12:06 sim k: hub.c: new USB device 00:0e.3-6, assigned address 2
> >13:12:06 sim k: usb.c: kmalloc IF dfdabd40, numif 1
> >13:12:06 sim k: usb.c: descriptor data left
>
> Hmm, can you forward "lsusb -v" output for this device?
> I'm curious what's up with those descriptors.

I've put it here:
http://mbox.bz/pub/lsusb-v-before.txt [17k, before timeout]
http://mbox.bz/pub/lsusb-v-after.txt  [16k, after timeout]

After the device went bad lsusb announces protocol errors
while querying it. That's not surprising but I put the after-
output there too, for completeness.

> And the rest of the debug log ... with initialization dump
> for the EHCI controller, at "00:0e.3" ?  Looks like that
> was immediately before what you sent.

Sorry, I trimmed too much by accident.
Here is the uncut version:

http://mbox.bz/pub/kern.log     [1.7M] or
http://mbox.bz/pub/kern.log.bz2 [ 73k]

> >13:12:06 sim k: usb.c: new device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
> >13:12:06 sim k: usb.c: USB device number 2 default language ID 0x409
> >13:12:06 sim k: Product: USB TO IDE
> >13:12:06 sim k: scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>
> The first thing that comes to mind is that this looks like one
> of those GeneSys devices that have been causing problems.  The
> diagnostic with "descriptor data left" seems to be a new clue.

You are right. I overlooked it before but it really is a GeneSys.
Do you happen know an usb2->ide bridge (sold in a 2.5" external hdd-case?)
that definately works in linux 2.4?
Just in case this one doesn't work out...

> You might be able to turn up some more information with this
> EHCI diagnostic patch (for 2.4), which just dumps the hardware
> data structures at the moment usb-storage times out the transfer.
> What it's shown in similar cases is that the GeneSys adapter
> got part way through a transfer and then stopped responding.

I just attacked the drive again, with the patch applied and
USB Mass Storage debug verbosity enabled.

Here is the relevant parts from the log of that session:

http://mbox.bz/pub/kern_ehci-debug.log     [2.2M] or
http://mbox.bz/pub/kern_ehci-debug.log.bz2 [ 18k]

The full log was 103M. I cut out large chunks of the repeated
error messages to bring it down to a reasonable size.
The cut out parts were replaced with a few hundred hash-lines.
So you can skip to the next part of the log by searching for "####".

The additional debug messages reveal that the device behaves just
the way you described (if i parse them right that is). It seems to
block in the middle of transfer and times out.

> One person had better luck after applying a patch that slowed
> down EHCI on an NForce2 southbridge ... the fact that it even
> mattered is in indication of problems in the GeneSys device.

I assume the wintendo drivers use a similar hack to make the
thing work then. What really pi**es me off right now is that the
case has the USB2.0-logo printed on it.
Yet another worthless cert...

> But I have no idea if your ALI hardware even implements the
> feature being turned off (you snipped the "00:0e.3" init info).
>
> Also, as Alan Stern commented, it's worth trying this on 2.6
> kernels.  If nothing else, the usb-storage/scsi fault recovery
> code is more robust there, and you're using it to recover from
> this problem.

Unfornationally I cannot switch to 2.6 at this time[1] but I will
try it once soon, just to see if the bridge works in there.

Thanks for your advice so far.

Best regards
Moe

[1] I Need VMWare and I doubt the kernel-modules will work in 2.6