  David> I'm not sure that if the HID driver were to pass a null
  David> buffer pointer, it would be caught anywhere.
  >>  OK, I'll try to find some time to trace the I/O MMU calls to see
  >> if something isn't kosher at that level.  Is there a good way of
  >> getting a relatively high-level of tracing in the USB subsystem
  >> that would some me what's going on between the HID and the core
  >> USB level?

  Dave.B> Most of that story is just submitting and completing URBs.

Yeah.  And it appears that it's the very first call to
hid_submit_ctrl() that's triggering the problem (not always, but about
9 out of 10 times).  I dumped some of the key fields for the URB being
submitted and they all looked saned to me.

  Dave.B> I'd either try changing the spots in drivers/usb/core/hcd.c
  Dave.B> marked as appropriate for generic MONITOR_URB hooks (printk
  Dave.B> if it's your HID device, maybe), or manually turn on
  Dave.B> whatever HCD-specific hooks exist (maybe use a VERBOSE
  Dave.B> message level).

OK, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll keep looking, but will be on
travel this week, so I may not be able to spend much time on this
problem.

        --david