Hello,

I am trying to hack together USB Host support for Motorola EZX series
of linux based smartphones (like E680i, A780, A1200) and I am stuck
with device enumeration. (details see
http://www.seili.net/a780usb.php). These phones run a Montavista Linux
2.4.17 with usbfs disabled on Intel PXA271.

I can connect a device and the CCS (Current Connection Status) bit in
the Ports Root Hub register is beeing set, so I think I got the
physical things ok (resistors, multiplexing of GPIO function, etc...).
However, nothing happens afterwards. No messages in dmesg. Steady
signal (DC) on the oscilloscope.

I am a USB newbie and a bit confused now. The docu I found was mainly
related to how to write a new USB device driver.

* How exactly did a Linux 2.4.17 learn that a new device was connected
to a OHCI controller ? By Interrupt ?

* And how does the virtual root hub know how many ports there are and
where they are ?

* Is there a way I can tell how many ports there are without usbfs ?

* Or if a new device was connected again without usbfs ?

Thanks,
Thomas Seiler