Thought I'd turn on the lh7a40x driver for grins and see what happens.
Turns out that it didn't even compile.  Once that was fixed, it still
wouldn't connect using the serial gadget driver.

The first error I see, on connecting the USB cable, is

  -> ERROR: gadget setup FAILED (stalling), setup returned -95

which is EOPNOTSUP.  It quits with Odd state!!

  Odd state!! state = WAIT_FOR_SETUP

The host end is reporting stuff like this:

 usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 12
 usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
 usb 2-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
 usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 13
 usb 2-2: device not accepting address 13, error -71
 usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 14
 usb 2-2: device not accepting address 14, error -71

It looks like I've got some investigation to do.

 ----

The question is this: what is the simplest gadget to use for debugging
a UDC driver?  I started with the serial gadget because I figured it
would be easy to verify that it is working.

Cheers.