On Tuesday 28 February 2006 11:03 pm, Steve Calfee wrote:

> Yes, it is a huge drawback to the spec. Being host does not say you provide
> power, being "A" connector does. How do you communicate the fact that your
> handheld can use and get power from a device if it is plugged in properly.

That one's easy:  there's now a "battery powered" device feature
(from wireless usb).  Use that ...

What's harder is the other way around:  "I have power to spare,
from the AC outlet."  Because the handheld gadget would likely
be the one to detect that case and suggest switching the cable.

Of course one could apply heuristics too.  Most printers have
AC power, so if your handheld hooks up to an OTG printer in host
role, and its battery is low enough, then suggest re-cabling.

OTG printer?  Presumably they exist by now ...

>        Probably having
> both A and B connectors is a more sane and clear indication of power and
> connections.

I thought only hubs were allowed to do that, though...

- Dave