On Thursday 18 May 2006 4:08 pm, Greg KH wrote:

> > > After looking through the logs again it appears this may be an Arm related
> > > problem.  The dmabounce message is saying there is a device on the pci
> > > bus and
> > > then the drivers attach.  When it fails the dmabounce message is coming
> > > after
> > > the usb drivers have attached to the device.  Anyway I am posting this
> > > problem
> > > over to the arm-kernel list as well.
> > >

> > Ok I am still not sure where the problem exactly lies but here is the fix I
> > came
> > up with.

The problem is that the dmabounce init needs to be done before any
driver binds to the device before probe(), otherwise the driver can't
actually use the device until some indeterminate time after probe()
returns ... whereas drivers are guaranteed they can talk to the device
beginning with probe().

> > I moved the call to platform_notify up in the call to device_add.  This
> > allows
> > the device to fully attach to the system before the driver starts to mess
> > with
> > it.  I don't know if it is the best solution but it works for my hardware.

Looks right to me at least for the IXP case you mentioned.

> > Comments?
>
> What does your platform_notify() do?  What arch is this?  Pointers to
> code anywhere?
>
> And as it looks like only ppc and arm platforms use this callback, you
> should really check with the maintainers of those arches before I could
> accept a patch like this.

I glanced at those users and this looks correct ... platform_notify()
is used for patchups that clearly ought to be done before probe() could
be called for that hardware.  ARM mostly does that sort of stuff right
before the platform device is registered (IXP can't for this PCI device);
where PPC does more with this notification API.

- Dave