A few days back, I reported that my Anydata ADU-E100A CDMA/EV-DO modem
works better with the option driver than with the anydata driver. I
now understand better why.

Using the option driver fixed a bug which forced me to cycle power
between closing a ppp connection and opening it again. It also had
better througput than anydata, even with buffer_size=4096 for anydata.

The reason that repeated connections work is that option implements
TIOCMSET for RTS and DTR, in a way which works for the Anydata
modem. I was able to make the anydata driver close and open
connections properly by copying the TIOCMSET handler and the necessary
state data from the option driver.

As another experiment, I added the TIOCMSET handler to the
airprime_major_update patch. airprime was now able to handle the
Anydata modem and close and open connections properly.

option implements TIOCMSET be sending an usb_control_msg with
the same request and requesttype as the pl2303 driver uses. Perhaps
there is a PL2303 inside these devices.

As for throughput, option is best, followed by airprime, anydata with
buffer_size=4096 and in last place anydata with default buffers.

I've proposed removing the anydata driver and letting the option
driver handle Anydata modems. I still stand by the proposal. See
Matthias Urlichs's patch from July 12.

I've also speculated about whether the airprime and option drivers
ought to be merged, but I don't know whether that makes sense. Do the
devices which airprime handles also need modem control line handling?