On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 02:10:07PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> Greg:
>
> You have applied most of the patches I sent, but not the "USB-persist"
> ones.  Any particular reason?

The main reason is that I'm still on the road, and I really want to
spend the time and test those patches, as I'm still not sure about the
use of them.

I'm scared because this is not an option that a distro can enable in
their releases, and that bad things can happen to people's data if they
are not careful.  Also I feel that the number of legit users for such a
thing is so small that I wonder if it is really worth it.

So these are still in my queue, I just want to give them some serious
scrutiny.

> The infrastructure added for USB-persist is also used for a new type of
> quirks entry (devices which need to be reset when they resume).  Would you
> prefer it if I separate out that common infrastructure and send it along
> with the quirks code first?  Then adding USB-persist on top would be a
> relatively small change.

Sure, if you want to rework it that way, I was holding off applying
those other patches as the dependancy was there.  If by doing that, we
get that new feature in sooner, it would probably be much better.

thanks,

greg k-h