On Monday 02 July 2007, Alan Cox wrote:

> Why not just bite the bullet and change the callback convention. The lock
> verification code should catch the cases that matter and which are
> overlooked on a code scan. You could also change the name of the callback
> to be sure it breaks anything out of tree that isn't fixed.

The cases Alan identified are inside usbcore, mostly for root hubs.
Those would be easy to convert.

By far the majority of URB completions are issued from HCDs, from
IRQ handlers ... which in RT kernels will be thread contexts, but
in normal kernels will be hardirq contexts.

I'm not sure the lock validator would necessarily catch all the
relevant cases.  Fault paths are troublesome...

On the other hand, that *could* dovetail nicely with the proposed
change of the callback signature to take urb and status code,
rather than urb with urb->status ... :)

- Dave