On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Aras Vaichas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> does anyone know of a reason why I wouldn't be able to backport the 2.6.22.1
> drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c to work with a 2.6.16 kernel?

Nothing beyond potential minor backport issues; the kernel has
changed a bit since then!  But I can't think of anything major,
and skimming the GIT history for that file doesn't raise any flags
either.  Header file changes might be annoying of course.

> Background: We are looking at using MCCI's host-side SAFE driver (and finally
> moving away from Microsoft's RNDIS solution). To use the MCCI driver we need
> make a few changes to drivers/usb/gadget/ether.c for better compatibility.

You mean, beyond what's already been merged??

It would be nice if MSFT's recommended solution actually worked ... it
seems their own drivers are too buggy for them to fix.  Sigh.

> We already have a large customer base running with a very stable 2.6.16 so
> I'd
> rather just upgrade g_ether.ko and change my start-up scripts than have to
> upgrade the whole kernel.

Give it a try, and let us know how it goes!

- Dave