On Sunday 29 July 2007, Jon Smirl wrote:
> On 7/29/07, Greg KH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 09:42:40AM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > > I have a large patch (megabytes) including a rework of the USB OTG
> > > code from 2.6.10 by Philips. It's too large to post.
> >
> > Then try splitting it into logical portions so that it can be reviewed,
> > if that is what you are wanting to see happen here.
>
> We haven't committed to using the chip yet. It was more of an FYI post
> to see if anyone found any interesting bits in the patch. Philips did
> the port for some big customer and recently released it...

Which is of course nice, but then 2.6.10 was released in
late 2004 so that's more than 2.5 years old now ... :)

> This is typical port and forget behavior from the chip vendor so that
> they can get a checkbox for Linux support.

Someday one would hope customers stop treating old forks as if
they were real support ... until it's merged into the kernel.org
tree it's not really what most people expect from Linux!

> If we pick the CPU I'll work on getting the support fully merged.

Which would necessarily include updating to 2.6.current, and
would almost certainly not start with the USB parts.  :)

ISTR that 2.6.10 didn't quite have all the OTG bits in place
for the original work.  Some of the stuff Philips (now NXP,
I guess) did shouldn't have been needed.  They certainly didn't
really try to improve the existing framework...

- Dave