I have also noticed this delay and have through instrumenting code
have found that every block in the device gets read in.  I never
checked if it was something in the df, filesystem, SCSI, or USB
subsystems that was causing this.  I am usually doing df on USB
storage devices formated as FAT 32 w/ and w/o LBA.

Branden