On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 02:56:40PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > What does the status -84 mean?
>
> It means there was a low-level USB communications error.  Maybe the
> cable connection isn't firm, or maybe the mouse just stops working
> every few seconds.

Wow. That's heavy. These mice are sold at a relatively high price to a
target audience of "professional gamers". The mouse was new from the
factory. Wouldn't you think they had some kind of QC?

When you look around the internet, lots of people are reporting
unplug-replug style problems with Razer mice, especially the Diamondback
which has the same sensor technology as the Krait. This problem
apparently hasn't been fixed for years. But those mice are going at over
40 euros. Target market is Windows gamers, of course.

Razer does use very thin cables; it's part of their marketing blurb
because it supposedly makes the mice better for gaming. Before I toss
the mouse away, would it be worth it to replace the cable with the one
from my cheap (working) laptop mouse? I can solder and the cable
terminates at a simple connector plug on the mouse's board.

Can you say something about the possibility of this being a
protocol/standards issue? i.e. is it possibly a firmware issue, or would
a three-button mouse even have firmware?

It's not connected to current draw or overcurrent protection, no?

> > Any hope to really fix this?
>
> It's a hardware problem.  Probably the easiest way to fix it is to
> replace the mouse.

Hardware problem on the side of the USB hub or the mouse?

And thanks for your effort, Alan. I appreciate it.

Jonas