On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:05:58PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Matthew Dharm wrote:
>
> I think the correct approach is to modify those routines so that they
> will never overrun the s-g buffer (like Boaz has done), and _document_
> this behavior.  Then the callers can feel free to try and transfer as
> much as they want, knowing that an overrun can't occur.  There won't
> be any need for a WARN_ON or anything else.

Six of one and a half-dozen of the other.  All we're arguing over is the
definition of "correct behavior" here.  You want to change the API so that
overrun is acceptable and handled; I prefer calling it a Bad Thing(tm).

We both agree that the code shouldn't run off the end of the s-g list.

Since you've already committed to updating the patch, then we can do it
your way.  Just make sure it's very very clear in the comments.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

E:  You run this ship with Windows?!  YOU IDIOT!
L:  Give me a break, it came bundled with the computer!
                                        -- ESR and Lan Solaris
User Friendly, 12/8/1998