On 07/08/2012 03:18 AM, Alan Stern wrote:

> Apparently the behavior before commit e1620d5 was that the webcam
> didn't get suspended, and after the commit it did.  Unfortunately
> the usbmon traces do not explain this difference; all they show is
> when/whether a suspend took place.
>
> For example, the prelog.9975961.out trace shows that the webcam wasn't
> suspended before the trace began, and the postlog.e1620d5.out trace
> shows that it was (although when the webcam was resumed, it did work
> okay -- this was one of the times it didn't crash during the resume).

Let me clarify: the webcam did *not* work okay during the session
represented by postlog.e1620d5.out; it turned back on, but only returned
a garbled video image.  So even here, it really needs the reset-resume
quirk.

> Eric, are your kernel-hacking skills up to debugging this?  I can tell
> you where to look and what to look for.

I'm not a kernel hacker -- almost all my development/coding experience
is at the application/UI level.  But I can read and modify C, and I can
compile a kernel.  :-)  So if you don't mind a little hand-holding, I am
happy to help however I can.

Eric