Hi,

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 06:30:20AM -0700, Greg Kroah-Hartmann wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:36:14AM +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> > On the TODO list I read convert from sysfs to configfs. Great. That
> > means it should become what I suggested some time ago.
> >
> > The ccg code is thight on sysfs, there is hardly generic code available
> > which could be reused with the configfs interface.
> > So can we remove ccg from staging right away? I don't see the point in
> > keeping it. The user interface changes completely. And while I convert
> > in tree gadgets / composite users I have to update ccg for no reason.
> > Ach, I am probably okay with helping Andrzej with his configfs work.
> >
> > Okay to remove it?
>
> Why would you remove it if people are still using it today?  Don't you
> want to fix it up properly and move it into the real part of the kernel
> instead?

that's actually why I was against accepting the Android gadget in the
kernel in any way or format. The thing is completely wrong. They created
a gadget where you can remove and add functions through sysfs.

What me and Sebastian as trying to achieve with the gadget configfs
interface, is get rid of all gadget drivers (nokia.c, zero.c,
file_storage.c, etc) and keep only function drivers (f_*.c) in the
kernel. Then the entire gadget/configuration/interface binding will be
done through userland allowing any type of functions mix ups you can
think of without having to add yet another
my_new_gadget_with_a_slightly_different_function.c driver to the kernel
tree.

Android gadget was simply renamed to ccg and they sneaked into the
kernel through the staging tree. That's a little unfair provided I was
against the driver for several reasons. But that's fine, we can learn to
live with that.

--
balbi